Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Experimental Doug Turns Zombie


For this mixed media piece, I used a similar technique I used for my previous post Freddy Corcoran and His Girlfriend Starstruck Tracy. I also added some titanium white acrylic paint to accent the highlights and reflections on the face. I am not happy with the overall turnout because I went overboard with the paint and couldn't correct it with the color stick. I figured the only things that could cover the paint would be more paint, the Markette, or graphite.



Graphite.. My buddy Tyson recently drew me in pencil with this awesome linear, sketchy-style which I used faintly over the paint. It basically conveys the shapes on the face, provides direction of planes, and makes it easier to follow on the eyes. I'd like to do more with this in future sketches.

There are more things I hate about this work than things I like. I'm hating the mouth and what I did with the tongue. I blacked out that area during the outline phase and counted my chickens before they were hatched. The whole piece, with it's strange palette, over obsessive white, and crazy mouth make Doug look like a brain hungry zombie. I'd say the only part I am happy with is the reflections on the eyes. The paint makes them look so much more realistic even though I didn't render them well at all. I will definitely use this tool more often although I could just do it in Photoshop without the mess.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,

If you ever make a t-shirt of this I will, ahem, Rock it.

In my utmost sincerity,

Queaf

DLyonsArt@gmail.com

My Photo
The Art of Daniel Lyons
ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART... ART!!! SHHH!!! (aaaaarrrt)
View my complete profile

Featured Sites

You are Now a Red Blip

Thanks for Stopping By

Daniel Lyons Art 2011. Powered by Blogger.