Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Just Don't Get It

What would you think is the most expensive painting in the world and how much do you imagine it sold for? I decided to google this today and was quite shocked with my findings. It turns out the winner is the American painter Jackson Pollack; well maybe not him per say but his painting No.5,1948 is. This painting holds the current record price paid for a work of art at an astounding amount of $140 million US dollars. Even more shocking, there's not much information on this painting. Normally there is a story, hardship, or reason for the painting's importance, but nothing here. I know that it was part of the abstract expressionist movement after WWII and was a way out of German Expressionism, but besides it's ticket price and the possible scandal behind it's purchase, theres not much to it.

I completed an abstract painting last month entitled Winter Painting, that I feel could be the next Pollock ;) It took very little time and I really don't have much to say about it except that it was simple and automatic. I could also say, my extremely arbitrary brushstrokes, simple color palette, and sloppy composition help convict it's non objective nature and add to the emotional angst of the painting.. That I normally wouldn't even post a painting like this. Thank goodness I know what THEY say? "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." (On a side note, Margaret Wolfe Hungerford is most widely accredited for coining that phase so I'm not sure why people refer to her as "they.") Anyway, I figured it would be a waste of my time if no one ever saw it so enjoy it or don't. If you do and want to give me $140 million dollars, you can do that too.




The painting on the left is Winter Painting. The title really doesn't have much to do with the painting except that I did it in the winter. The painting on the right is a collaborative effort produced by the combined talents of Natalie and me. We entitled this piece Slip of Santa because it looks like Santa just took out someone's Christmas tree.

P.S. In my honest opinion, I believe the most expensive painting in the world should be The Sistine Chapel by Michelangelo. I'm sure it is and would be if it could ever be sold because that really is an absolute masterpiece. It's 12,000 square feet of perfection. I've studied this in Art History and am amazed that Michelangelo did not even consider himself as a painter and he could produce such beauty in only four years. I've never seen it in person but rest assured, it's on my Bucket List.

0 comments:

DLyonsArt@gmail.com

My Photo
The Art of Daniel Lyons
ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART... ART!!! SHHH!!! (aaaaarrrt)
View my complete profile

Featured Sites

You are Now a Red Blip

Thanks for Stopping By

Daniel Lyons Art 2011. Powered by Blogger.