Sunday, February 20, 2011

Look What I Found

I just found a whole folder of art on my computer, from 2009 and 2010, that I never posted or even organized in my pictures folder. They were taken with Natalie's camera during the time that I didn't have one. She was nice enough to find all these images, sometime last year,and put them on my flash drive which I imported to my computer and forgot about. I am not going to create a detailed post about each image but I will categorize them by time period, size, or materials so that it makes a little bit of sense.

The first few images were all created around the time I broke my camera in the summer of 2009. They are all drawn on 18" x 24" white drawing paper and most of them are mixed media illustrations made with markers, colored pencils, etc. They aren't anything special but I thought it was worth posting.








I like this one a lot only because I made it with a two year old while babysitting. Keith's daughter who is now four liked to help me draw, and while Keith and Amber went to an Incubus concert, Izabella and I made this. She liked to draw so much so that she went into my room a few days later and ruined a drawing I was working on. In retrospect, it was a mistake to leave my bedroom door open with a huge piece of a paper and a bucket of markers and colored pencils out in the open. Kids will be kids.. The couches have seen some art as well as the walls. She loves to draw which is so cool. We created a few things together while I lived there but this is without a doubt my favorite piece we made together. I actually was over at their house two days ago and found this drawing that she created at four years old. I loved the composition of it, so I took a picture of her drawing and posted it below. Maybe I can help her make something out of it like she helped me creating the image above.




The next group of images are caricatures of people I worked with. My friends Sarah asked me to draw her and I went out of control. My girlfriend Natalie had just bought a new 7" x 10" sketchbook of recycled mid-tone paper, which I conquered during my drawing frenzy. The images that follow after are from the same sketchbook so I figured I'd include them also.














There were a few more but I wasn't happy with them. These were my favorites of the Legoland peeps. I really enjoyed drawing the caricatures above on the mid-tone paper because I got to try out some new things with grease markers combined with regular markers.

The next four drawings are just random sketches. I've never worked on mid-tone paper in fine drawing before so the caricatures above as well as these drawings were really just experiments. During my Life Drawing courses in college, we used newsprint paper, charcoal, and conte crayons to create highlights and shadows but that was a messy process unlike what I have done here. Here, I have created a little chiaroscuro, made popular by Caravaggio and Rembrandt, by adding white highlights instead of drawing around them. It makes the drawing more fun for me and more dynamic to the viewer. You will see more of this style soon.. now that I remember doing it.




1 comments:

Taylor S Smith said...

Dude, these were a lot of fun to look through and read about. I love your sense of freedom with your materials. It's fun to read about the thought process that goes into them and the reflection afterwards. Cool stuff, homie; thanks for posting.

DLyonsArt@gmail.com

My Photo
The Art of Daniel Lyons
ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART... ART!!! SHHH!!! (aaaaarrrt)
View my complete profile

Featured Sites

You are Now a Red Blip

Thanks for Stopping By

Daniel Lyons Art 2011. Powered by Blogger.