Thursday, January 19, 2012

Draw Me Crazy

This is another drawing of my girlfriend Natalie. After seeing the wacky doodle above that accidentally resembles her, she wanted me to actually draw her and more importantly, to "Do it crazy!". I gladly accepted the task.

I came up with this idea using Microns and prismacolor markers. I was inspired by some very linear African artwork that I recently framed at my job. I could not determine the artist's name but he/she produced these beautiful images of African women and children all rendered with crosshatching and muted blocks of color. The color palette was extremely simple which emphasized the beautifully constructed and painstakingly clean crosshatching.

I have experimented with a similar process to this about ten years ago when I was graduating high school. I remembering learning about crosshatching and pointillism to which both techniques became my favorite over the next couple years. Come to think about it, it was around the same time my mother bought me the 48 set of Prismacolor Markers which is a little ironic. I would draw intricate shapes, crosshatch them, and fill in each box with a color. It originated from my love of chess. I emulated the game board in a lot of my drawings back then and I still use this repetition today.

I stepped my game up this time and recently purchase the 72 set of markers which I am "crazy" excited about and which is why I am pumping out art daily. New materials bring forth new ideas.. New ideas bring forth new opportunities.. New opportunities bring forth.. Ahh.. you get it.

0 comments:

DLyonsArt@gmail.com

My Photo
The Art of Daniel Lyons
ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART... ART!!! SHHH!!! (aaaaarrrt)
View my complete profile

Featured Sites

You are Now a Red Blip

Thanks for Stopping By

Daniel Lyons Art 2011. Powered by Blogger.