Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Madonna Enthroned




5" x 7" Colored Pencils on Green Mat Board


This scratch drawing was actually a drawing I created five years ago. It is a small abstration from the bottom right corner of Unconcentric.  You can see certain areas, left of my signature, that are familiar here.  When I started coloring it, I planned on accentuating the forms from the drawing, but this didn't happen.  I started applying white to the top left corner revealing Mary's face by accident and my mind was set.  This is when I decided to make it what you see above.


My Modanna and Child has reverted back to the flat Byzantine style of the 13th century, depicting the iconic Roman Catholic image of Mother Mary and her infant child Jesus. My image, like all Modonna's, stresses Mary's maternal role and relationship with her son.


Although I did not include the angels and gold leaf (side note: I just looked and I do have a gold mat board that would work perfectly for my next one), I still provided the sad Cretan stare that conveys Mary's knowing of Jesus's future demise for mankind detailed in the close up above. I also like the routed sun, purely by luck, on the blanket wrapped around Jesus.  I guess this was the plan all along.


I decided to crop the bottom portion of the drawing for the final display.  I think the scene becomes much more intimate and the composition more visually inviting in a 4" x 6" format. This also makes Jesus the central motif of the picture which was the whole point of these paintings, frescoes, and sculptures.

0 comments:

DLyonsArt@gmail.com

My Photo
The Art of Daniel Lyons
ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART... ART!!! SHHH!!! (aaaaarrrt)
View my complete profile

Featured Sites

You are Now a Red Blip

Thanks for Stopping By

Daniel Lyons Art 2011. Powered by Blogger.