Saturday, June 4, 2011

Brush Strokes Without a Brush

5" x 7" on White Illustration Board


One of my illuustration board scraps had some cuts and bruises so I tried to use them to my advantage. To make this destructuion look purposeful, I used a thumb tack to apply depressions in the mat board so that the color stick would essentially cover only the surface leaving the depressions in tact. In fact, I can remember doing this as a kid. The first time i saw it was in an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in the late 80's. April, the local news reporter, needed to find out where the turtles were going. She took a pencil and lightly rubbed it over a small pad near their phone to reveal the depressions from the previous page detailing their destination.

5" x 7" on White Illustration Board


While playing around with this idea, I realized that you can layer these "scrathces" on top of color to create colored lines. Scratch, color, scrathch, new color, and repeat until your fingers callus like mine. I did a few more using this same technique, subject matter, and colors but these did not turn out as interesting as the ones above. I'm hoping to use these technique again in a controlled manner because it almost makes colored pencils look like oils because of the placebo 'brush strokes.'

0 comments:

DLyonsArt@gmail.com

My Photo
The Art of Daniel Lyons
ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART ART... ART!!! SHHH!!! (aaaaarrrt)
View my complete profile

Featured Sites

You are Now a Red Blip

Thanks for Stopping By

Daniel Lyons Art 2011. Powered by Blogger.